A Viking age replica bronze needle case from a find in Skälby, Sollentuna, Uppland, Sweden.
The needle box is open on both sides, so a small clump of sheep's wool inside the needle box provides the necessary hold for your sewing / leatherwork needles and is still recommended today.
Many needle boxes have been found made of bone or antler, but there were also often needle boxes made of bronze in the Viking Age.
In Viking times, needle boxes were usually carried on a ribbon or chain hanging from one of the tortoise brooches. Needle boxes have been frequently found in Viking women's graves.
- Length - 70mm (2.75 inch).
- Width - 10mm (0.4 inch).
- Hole diameter - 7mm (0.3 inch).
- Weight approx. 24g (0.85oz).
BRAND NEW PRODUCT FROM THE VIKING DRAGON!
Shipping Costs & Shipping Times from The Viking Dragon.
All of our shipping costs are based on the weight and the size of your package and are calculated on the final checkout page.
All UK packages are now sent via 1st Class Royal Mail - Signed For / Evri as standard, or Royal Mail 'Special Delivery' if you have specified this on the checkout page.
Any items going overseas are sent via 'International Tracked', or you can upgrade to 'Express Courier'.
Postage costs start at 3.25 GBP for UK large letter packages.
How long do we take to deliver?
If you order before 2pm (GMT) then your package will usually be sent out the same day via Royal Mail, unless it is a large package, which will sent via courier that pick up from us the next working day.
Average delivery times:
- UK - 1-3 working days (1-2 working days via Special Delivery).
- Europe (EU) - 5-15 working days.
- Europe (Non EU) - 5-15 working days.
- USA & Canada - 5-20 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Australia & New Zealand - 5-25 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Rest of the World - 5-35 working days.
- EXPRESS COURIER ORDERS CAN BE DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS, SO IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS QUICKER.
Please note we are closed during UK public holidays and no mail will be sent.
UK Public Holidays 2023:
The following dates there will be no postal services from us and our office will be closed:
- Monday 8th May 2023 (King's Coronation).
- Monday 29th May 2023 (Spring Bank Holiday).
- Monday 28th August 2022 (Summer Bank Holiday).
- Monday 25th December to Tuesday 26th December 2023 (Christmas).