The Ancient Havamal Text Translated into Yorkshire Slang Pocket-Sized Book.
The ancient wisdom of the Havamal translated into the language used by our own Grandparents by members of Heathens of Yorkshire, and showing that modern Yorkshire folk wisdom shares much with that offered in the original text.
Yorkshire dialect, and heritage in general, is intrinsically linked to the culture of our Danish ancestors. From our place names to our casual colloquialisms, the influence of Old Norse language is inescapable throughout the county.
In fact, the very word 'Yorkshire' itself comes from the Old Norse name for York, 'Jorvik' rather than the Saxon 'Eoforwick' or the Latin 'Eboracum'. The term 'Ridings', the administrative areas by which the county was divided until 1974, comes from the Old Norse 'Thryding' meaning a third. Whilst the adding of “shire” to the name of the county came later, the first administrative entity that largely encompassed the same geographical area that we know as Yorkshire was the Heathen Danish Kingdom of York.
Includes 9 original illustrations by Lou Flitcroft to bring the text to life. Translations are by Dan Coultas, Lou Flitcroft, Debi Gregory and Toni Wilson.
Eyup, thi givers! Guest as come;
By 'eck! Wur's 'bugger guna sit darn?
'e'sflittin' hither an' thither, lukin' fur warhmf an' 'elf.
- Paperback: 69 pages.
- Publisher: Independently published (12 Jun 2022).
- Language: English.
- Product Dimensions: 15 x 10 x 1cm (6 x 4 x 0.4 inch).
- Weight: 55g (1.95oz).
Shipping Costs & Shipping Times from The Viking Dragon.
All of our shipping costs are based on the weight and the size of your package and are calculated on the final checkout page.
All UK packages are now sent via 1st Class Royal Mail - Signed For / EVRI as standard, or Royal Mail 'Special Delivery' if you have specified this on the checkout page.
Any items going overseas are sent via 'International Tracked', or you can upgrade to 'Express Courier'.
Postage costs start at 2.95 GBP for UK small tracked packages, or FREE if your order is over £100!
How long do we take to deliver?
If you order before 1pm (GMT) then your package will usually be sent out the same day via Royal Mail, unless it is a large package, which will sent via courier that pick up from us the next working day.
Average delivery times:
- UK - 1-3 working days (1-2 working days via Special Delivery).
- Europe (EU) - 5-15 working days.
- Europe (Non EU) - 5-15 working days.
- USA & Canada - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Australia & New Zealand - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Rest of the World - 5-35 working days.
- EXPRESS COURIER ORDERS CAN BE DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS, SO IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS QUICKER.
Please note we are closed during UK public holidays and no mail will be sent.
UK Public Holidays 2023:
The following dates there will be no postal services from us and our office will be closed:
- Monday 25th December to Tuesday 26th December 2023 (Christmas).