Whitby Jet Pieces
Whitby Jet Pieces
Tower House Business Centre, Fishergate
Jelling Dragon Ltd
York YO10 4UA
Raw, sea-washed natural Whitby jet pieces.
- Each piece is 2 - 7cm (0.8 - 2.75 inch) long.
- Naturally polished by the action of the sea.
- Raw Whitby Jet for sale in 2 different weight batches.
- 50g (1.75oz) batch contains around 10 - 16 pieces.
- 100g (3.5oz) batch contains around 20 - 30 pieces.
- Use it to make jewelry & other decorations.
Foraged by hand from the Yorkshire coast of England, sea-washed Whitby jet such as this has been used for centuries to make shiny black jewelry. Many examples of Whitby jet jewelry can be found from the Viking age in the form of pendants, rings, necklaces & other adornments. Whitby Jet is fossilised wood from the early Jurassic (Toarcian) age and comes from trees similar to the modern day Monkey Puzzle or Araucaria tree. It is 180 - 185 million years old and is now a relative rarity to find in the ground, as all the main seams were mined out during the Victorian era when jet jewelry became incredibly fashionable.
The Whitby jet pieces we sell are the higher grade 'ginger' jet, which is great for carving and polishing into jewelry pieces and not the darker brown more brittle jet.
Please be wary of fake jet for sale and the easiest way to tell if it's genuine is it will always leave a brown streak when rubbed on rough paper, or unglazed porcelain. The lighter and richer the brown then the higher the quality will be. Also genuine Whitby jet will always be warm to the touch and not cold like stone or glass.
Shipping Costs & Shipping Times from The Viking Dragon.
All of our shipping costs are based on the weight and the size of your package and are calculated on the final checkout page.
All UK packages are now sent via Evri as standard, or Royal Mail 'Special Delivery' if you have specified this on the checkout page.
Any items going overseas are sent via 'International Tracked', or you can upgrade to 'Express Courier'.
Postage costs start at £3.50 GBP for Evri UK courier.
How long do we take to deliver?
If you order before 2pm (GMT) then your package will usually be sent out the same day via Royal Mail, unless it is a large package, which will sent via courier that pick up from us the next working day.
Average delivery times:
- UK - 1-3 working days (1-2 working days via Special Delivery).
- Europe (EU) - 5-15 working days.
- Europe (Non EU) - 5-15 working days.
- USA & Canada - 5-20 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Australia & New Zealand - 5-25 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Rest of the World - 5-35 working days.
- EXPRESS COURIER ORDERS CAN BE DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS, SO IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS QUICKER.
Please note we are closed during UK public holidays and no mail will be sent.
UK Public Holidays 2022 / 2023:
- Monday 26th to Tuesday 27th December 2022 (Christmas).
- Monday 2nd January 2023 (New Year's Day).
- Friday 7th April to Monday 10th April 2023 (Easter).
- Monday 1st May 2023 (May Day).
- Monday 29th May 2023 (Spring Bank Holiday).
- Monday 28th August 2023 (Summer Bank Holiday).
- Monday 25th December to Tuesday 26th December 2023 (Christmas).