This unique atlas of magical Britain reveals an enchanted and often forgotten mythical past, charted through the hidden places in its sacred landscape.
Explore Britain’s mysterious otherworld of spirits, fairies, giants and dragons and reconnect with folklore, myth and paganism in 650 sites.
Featuring original and evocative photography, detailed descriptions of stories and folklore, plus 36 secret locations never previously published.
- Journey to the hidden places in our sacred landscape. Discover Britain’s forgotten magical past and mythical sites:
- Places featured in the stories of King Arthur, Merlin and the Celtic Saints.
- Entrances to the Otherworld.
- Spirits in the stone, creation stories and giants’ strongholds.
- Sites of healing, divination and wish-making.
- Secret shrines and places of ancient ritual.
- Sacred Goddess sites in the landscape.
- Legendary locations of Norse mythology.
- Dragons and Mermaids.
About the author
Rob Wildwood is a folklore researcher from the North of England. He has spent over 10 years travelling Britain documenting and photographing its hidden places of magic. He is the author of four books including The Land of the Fae: Merlin’s Quest and Primal Awareness: Reconnecting with the Spirits of Nature.
Table of Contents
Regional overview 6
Britain’s magical history 9
How to use this book 14
Visiting a magical place 15
The Celtic wheel of the year 16
Songlines – Britain’s mythic routes 22
Mother goddess 24
Animate stones 26
Portals – entrances to the Otherworld 28
Pixies & piskies 32
Mermaids & other ocean spirits 34
Water spirits of rivers, lakes & springs 36
Hobs, brownies & other household spirits 38
Arthur and other legendary heroes 42
Celtic saints & miracles 44
Christianised pagan sites 46
Norse & Anglo-Saxon mythology 48
The Wild Hunt & otherworldly hounds 50
Wishes & divination 54
Places of healing 56
Rituals & shrines 58
REGIONAL CHAPTERS 62
Placename index 330
Places by category 332
Landscape glossary 335
Acknowledgements & further reading 336