Complete Hnefatafl Viking Game with Resin Replica Pieces.
The Viking Game ranks as one of history's greatest board games. It was at its most popular during the Dark Ages in Northern Europe, a period of sparse records and shifting populations. Like so much of the history of the Dark Ages, our knowledge of this Viking game is patchy, but a mystery now solved as a result of archaeological research.
The game was popular in the Viking homelands of Scandinavia as early as AD400 and was carried by the Vikings to the lands they travelled to. Over the centuries the game developed and different versions of the board have been found by archaeologists in sites from Ireland to the Ukraine.
Occasionally referred to in manuscripts, the game was known as 'Hnefatafl', which literally means 'Kings Table'. The study of these manuscripts and examinations of various types of boards and pieces has enabled researchers to work out how the game was most likely played. There is no doubt however that many versions of the rules existed at different places and different times.
Hnefatafl was last recorded as being played in Wales in 1587 and in Lapland in 1723. its decline began in the 11th century as chess grew in popularity and it soon lingered only in remote country districts.
- 37 solid resin gaming pieces (24 attackers, 12 defenders and 1 king).
- Roll-up linen cloth gaming board, approx 29.5cm square (11.5 inches).
- Full game rules in English, Swedish, Norwegian, German, French and Japanese.
- Neatly boxed for easy packing & storage.
Shipping Costs & Shipping Times from The Viking Dragon.
All of our shipping costs are based on the weight and the size of your package and are calculated on the final checkout page.
All UK packages are now sent via 1st Class Royal Mail - Signed For / EVRI as standard, or Royal Mail 'Special Delivery' if you have specified this on the checkout page.
Any items going overseas are sent via 'International Tracked', or you can upgrade to 'Express Courier'.
Postage costs start at 2.95 GBP for UK small tracked packages, or FREE if your order is over £100!
How long do we take to deliver?
If you order before 1pm (GMT) then your package will usually be sent out the same day via Royal Mail, unless it is a large package, which will sent via courier that pick up from us the next working day.
Average delivery times:
- UK - 1-3 working days (1-2 working days via Special Delivery).
- Europe (EU) - 5-15 working days.
- Europe (Non EU) - 5-15 working days.
- USA & Canada - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Australia & New Zealand - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Rest of the World - 5-35 working days.
- EXPRESS COURIER ORDERS CAN BE DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS, SO IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS QUICKER.
Please note we are closed during UK public holidays and no mail will be sent.
UK Public Holidays 2024:
The following dates there will be no postal services from us and our office will be closed:
- Friday 29th March - Good Friday
- Monday 1st April - Easter Monday
- Monday 6th May - Early May bank holiday
- Monday 27th May - Spring bank holiday
- Monday 26th August - Summer bank holiday
- Wednesday 25th December - Christmas Day
- Thursday 26th December - Boxing Day