A Paperback Book on the Connection Between Pagans & The Ocean.
Since the revival of Heathenry in the second half of the 20th century, much has been written about how the spiritual beliefs held by the people of Northern Europe in the early medieval period can be applied to our lives today. You will find books that explain the practicalities of modern Heathen ritual practices and how they compare to those conducted by our ancestors, books on the many deities and spirits and how they are still relevant today, and still more on how texts like the Hávamál can be applied to modern-day life.
One area that has not been explored in as much detail up to this point is the relationship between Heathenry and the sea. This seems to be a glaring omission given how important the sea was to our Heathen ancestors. For many of our Scandinavian ancestors seafaring was a way of life. The sea was also important to others such as the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who took to the waves for a new life in the British Isles, and the Frisians who had an intimate relationship with the sea thrust upon them thanks to the low-lying lands they inhabited.
This book explores many aspects of our relationship with water as humans and as Heathens. Drawing on sources from a wide range of disciplines, Heathenry & The Sea examines how water featured in the spiritual world view of our ancestors from the earliest humans, through the Heathen period and in to the Christianisation of Europe, whilst also bringing the discussion right up to date with the experiences of modern Heathens, as well as some of the scientific explanations for these intrinsic connections with water.
- Paperback: 218 pages.
- Publisher: Independently published (28 Jul 2021).
- Language: English.
- Product Dimensions: 23 x 15 x 1.4cm (9 x 6 x 0.6 inches).
- Weight: 363g (12.8oz).
Shipping Costs & Shipping Times from The Viking Dragon.
All of our shipping costs are based on the weight and the size of your package and are calculated on the final checkout page.
All UK packages are now sent via 1st Class Royal Mail - Signed For / EVRI as standard, or Royal Mail 'Special Delivery' if you have specified this on the checkout page.
Any items going overseas are sent via 'International Tracked', or you can upgrade to 'Express Courier'.
Postage costs start at 2.95 GBP for UK small tracked packages, or FREE if your order is over £100!
How long do we take to deliver?
If you order before 1pm (GMT) then your package will usually be sent out the same day via Royal Mail, unless it is a large package, which will sent via courier that pick up from us the next working day.
Average delivery times:
- UK - 1-3 working days (1-2 working days via Special Delivery).
- Europe (EU) - 5-15 working days.
- Europe (Non EU) - 5-15 working days.
- USA & Canada - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Australia & New Zealand - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Rest of the World - 5-35 working days.
- EXPRESS COURIER ORDERS CAN BE DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS, SO IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS QUICKER.
Please note we are closed during UK public holidays and no mail will be sent.
UK Public Holidays 2024:
The following dates there will be no postal services from us and our office will be closed:
- Friday 29th March - Good Friday
- Monday 1st April - Easter Monday
- Monday 6th May - Early May bank holiday
- Monday 27th May - Spring bank holiday
- Monday 26th August - Summer bank holiday
- Wednesday 25th December - Christmas Day
- Thursday 26th December - Boxing Day