Jasper Stone Whetstone, Made into a Large Pendant for Fine Honing of Blades.
Sometimes called sharpening stones. or honing stones, whetstones were traded by the Vikings and their origin from archeological finds can be traced back to mines in France and Germany. The whetstones were important for the Viking as their metal tools and edges had to be kept sharp and in good condition.
Viking whetstones similar to these have been found in Viking graves in Gjermundbu, Norway, Ile de Groix in France, Birka and Gotland in Sweden and at dig sites in York, England, UK. These whetstones are made of jasper, a semi-precious stone in the chalcedony group - an opaque fine-grained quartz with various appearance & colours and 7 on the Moh's Hardness Scale.
Copies of Viking whetstones found in York, England, UK, made from the same banded jasper as the originals. Chosen for their beautiful colours and patterns, each whetstone is unique. They are used for fine honing of knives & tools and come with a yard of 2mm leather thong, enabling them to be hung around the neck or attached to your belt.
- Length 80mm (3.25 inches).
- Bottom width 22mm (0.85 inch), top width 15mm (0.6 inch).
- Depth 10mm (0.4 inch).
- Comes complete with 1 yard (90cm) of 1.5mm width black leather thong with 3mm hole drilled for hanging.
- Natural jasper stone, so each one is unique in colour and pattern, ranging from a fairly plain single colour to intricate banding in several colours
- Great for fine sharpening (honing) of any blade.
Please note that the price is for 1 Viking whetstone with black leather thong. The images are just show different colours / patterns.
Shipping Costs & Shipping Times from The Viking Dragon.
All of our shipping costs are based on the weight and the size of your package and are calculated on the final checkout page.
All UK packages are now sent via 1st Class Royal Mail - Signed For / EVRI as standard, or Royal Mail 'Special Delivery' if you have specified this on the checkout page.
Any items going overseas are sent via 'International Tracked', or you can upgrade to 'Express Courier'.
Postage costs start at 2.95 GBP for UK small tracked packages, or FREE if your order is over £100!
How long do we take to deliver?
If you order before 1pm (GMT) then your package will usually be sent out the same day via Royal Mail, unless it is a large package, which will sent via courier that pick up from us the next working day.
Average delivery times:
- UK - 1-3 working days (1-2 working days via Special Delivery).
- Europe (EU) - 5-15 working days.
- Europe (Non EU) - 5-15 working days.
- USA & Canada - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Australia & New Zealand - 5-10 working days (sometimes longer if you have a rural location).
- Rest of the World - 5-35 working days.
- EXPRESS COURIER ORDERS CAN BE DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS, SO IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR SERVICE YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS QUICKER.
Please note we are closed during UK public holidays and no mail will be sent.
UK Public Holidays 2023:
The following dates there will be no postal services from us and our office will be closed:
- Monday 25th December to Tuesday 26th December 2023 (Christmas).