Raw, sea-washed natural Whitby jet pieces.
- Each piece is 2 - 7cm (0.8 - 2.75 inch) long.
- Naturally polished by the action of the sea.
- Raw Whitby Jet for sale in 2 different weight batches.
- 50g (1.75oz) batch contains around 10 - 16 pieces.
- 100g (3.5oz) batch contains around 20 - 30 pieces.
- Use it to make jewelry & other decorations.
Foraged by hand from the Yorkshire coast of England, sea-washed Whitby jet such as this has been used for centuries to make shiny black jewelry. Many examples of Whitby jet jewelry can be found from the Viking age in the form of pendants, rings, necklaces & other adornments. Whitby Jet is fossilised wood from the early Jurassic (Toarcian) age and comes from trees similar to the modern day Monkey Puzzle or Araucaria tree. It is 180 - 185 million years old and is now a relative rarity to find in the ground, as all the main seams were mined out during the Victorian era when jet jewelry became incredibly fashionable.
The Whitby jet pieces we sell are the higher grade 'ginger' jet, which is great for carving and polishing into jewelry pieces and not the darker brown more brittle jet.
Please be wary of fake jet for sale and the easiest way to tell if it's genuine is it will always leave a brown streak when rubbed on rough paper, or unglazed porcelain. The lighter and richer the brown then the higher the quality will be. Also genuine Whitby jet will always be warm to the touch and not cold like stone or glass.